Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Home Search Print Login Add Bookmark
Matches 1 to 50 of 752 » Thumbnails Only
|11||1790 Pendleton District South Carolina census shows Alexander Sinkler|
Home in 1790 (City, County, State):Pendleton, South Carolina
Free White Persons - Males - Under 16: 2
Free White Persons - Males - 16 and over: 1
Free White Persons - Females: 1
Number of Household Members: 4
|12||1790 Tax Lists of Washington county TN|
Status: Located1790 Tax Lists of Washington county TN showing William Colyar
|13||1792 Sion Bradley revolutionary war Knox County TN|
Is this the Sion Bradley in Adair/Russell County KY in 1802 ?
|14||1795 KY Land Grant act South of Green River Settlements|
This act required settlement on the land evidenced by residence
|15||1796 Sion Bradley marriage|
Married Mary Wilson in Jefferson County TN, Is this the same Sion Bradley that shows up on Adair County KY census in 1810 that appears to be father of Sion Bradley in Russell County KY ?
|16||1800 U.S. Census Buncombe County North Carolina Alexander Sinclair|
Buncombe County was initially much larger than it is today. It once incorporated all of Rutherford County west of the mountains and most of the western part of Burke County while, to the south, it reached to the South Carolina border and then ran westward all the way to the Tennessee line. It has gone through at least ten distinct permutations from its creation until present day.
Home in 1800 (City, County, State): Morgan, Buncombe, North Carolina
Free White Persons - Males - Under 10: 3
Free White Persons - Males - 26 thru 44: 1
Free White Persons - Females - Under 10: 3
Free White Persons - Females - 16 thru 25: 1
Number of Household Members Under 16: 6
Number of Household Members Over 25: 1
Number of Household Members 8
|17||1802 Wayne County Kentucky tax lists|
Shows Alexander Sinclair (St. Clair) with no family etc and no assets. 1801 was year of formation of Wayne County Ky and he does not appear on list. Likewise, he does not appear on 1804 list. Evidently he was there only 1802-1803 and part of 1804 when he files Power of Attorney with court.
|18||1803 Wayne County Kentucky KY tax list|
Shows Alexander Sinclair with 150 acres.
1801 was year of formation of Wayne County Ky and he does not appear on list. Likewise, he does not appear on 1804 list. Evidently he was there only 1802-1803 and part of 1804 when he files Power of Attorney with court.
|19||1804-1810 Pulaski County Tax Records|
Shows Samuel Blevins in 1804, on Buck Creek Pulaski County KY, believed to be father of Polly Blevins, who Pulaski County Court records in 1806 show married a John Colyer. This file is evidence that the John Colyer that Polly Blevins married in 1806 (reported father Samuel Blevins) is the John Colyer born 1781. HOWEVER, ALL IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS AND ASSUMED. FURTHER INFO ON THIS SITE PROVIDED BY BLEVINS FAMILY RESEARCHERS SHOWS THAT "MARY" BLEVINS , DAUGHTER OF SAMUEL BLEVINS, DIED IN LOUISVILLE KY IN 1855 AND THAT CENSUS OF 1850 SHOWS MARRIED TO A JOHN COLYEAR. WE DON'T KNOW WHO THIS JOHN COLYEAR(COLYER) WAS, BUT EVIDENTLY NO RELATION TO JOHN COLYER BORN 1781 OF PULASKI COUNTY. The other John Colyer on tax records and later designated as "Junior", is beleived to be John Colyer Jr. born 1744, whom most of his life believed to live near Charles Colyer, baby brother, who bailed John out of court in Jonesboro TN prior to 1805 when Charles moved to Pulaski County Ky. He shows up in tax records here near Charles and later in Rockcastle County KY where Charles later moved. Without death record of Mary Colyer from Jefferson County KY in 1855 it would have been easy to Conclude that John Colyer born 1781 married Polly Blevins , since we know from pension records on John Colyer Jr. born 1744, he was long married to Grizelda Taylor in 1806. We have information that John Colyer Jr 1744 had son named John, but that he died in Rockcastle County ky in 1833 so not the Jefferson County Ky John Colyear. Further, we have information on a John Collier from Randolph Cty NC who moved to Greene County Tn but died there as did his son John...died in Greene County TN. So mystery continues as to who the Louisville John Colyear was descended from. Could he be descended from John Colyear in Franklin Cty IN who had Revolutionary pension file ?
The 1810 tax records shows Bluford Colyer, so he may have been born before 1809
|20||1805 Charles Colyer|
Charles Colyer, believed to be uncle to John Colyer born 1781, first appears on property tax records in Pulaski County KY.
|21||1805 Charles Colyer deed from Andrew Jackson|
Pulaski County KY deed to 1,962 acres on Brush branch of Buck Creek $400. Andrew Jackson as executor of brother in law estate of Thomas Hutchings. Both Jackson and Hutchings, married John Donelson daughters. Hutchings an original settler of Nashville with John Donelson.
|22||1805 William Bradley marriage Adair County KY|
|23||1806 John Colyer, Polly Blevins marriage Pulaski County KY|
father Samuel Blevins
|24||1806 Pulaski Property tax record: John Colyer|
Per search of Ky Archives Frankfort, John Colyer FIRST appears on property tax records in 1806 with no land, just horses.
|25||1807-1817 John Langdon land grant|
In researching age of log house John Langdon heirs sold to John Colyer in 1842, traced earliest records on John Langdon in Pulaski County KY on Ancestry.com. Record showed 720 acres grant in 1807. Upon searching records of same in KY archives, discovered grant was for 72 acres not 720 and was in 1817, not 1807. Grant and later records show it was on Buck Creek, not Pitman creek. Therefore was not the property of log house sold to John Colyer 1842.
|26||1810 census Adair County KY Sion Bradley|
Not sure if this is the Father or maybe grandfather of Sarah Evaline Bradley Vaughan. Per ColumbiaMagazine.com site: One of two first surveyors of Adair County about 1802 included Sion Bradley.
|27||1810 deed to Charles Colyer from Andrew Jackson|
Pulaski county 1750 acres on Buck Creek. Andrew Jackson acting as executor of Hutchings estate. Price paid $400. Yes this is the Andrew Jackson who later became president of the United States. Thomas Hutchings was his brother in law. Hutchings was son in law of John Donelson, and with Donelson the founder of City of Nashville. Both were surveyors from Pittsylvania County VA who after arriving in Nashboro as original settler, came to Lincoln County Ky and surveyed and grabbed land in 1780-1783 before returning to Nashville. Andrew Jackson and Thomas Hutchings married Donelson sisters.
|28||1810 Federal Census Pulaski County Ky|
Shows John Colyer and a Buford (whom I do not know who it is) in 1810 in Kentucky, believed to be on Cumberland River in Jugornot area of Somerset Ky today. John Colyer did have a son named Bluford Colyer. Some early tax records about 1810 show this "Buford" Collier(Colyer) with name of "Bluford"
|29||1810 Telico Land Grant law Kentucky|
This act granted settlers with residence on land right to land grant. This was land obtained by state by Telico treaty with Cherokee and other indian tribes.
"On October 2, 1798, the first Treaty of Tellico was negotiated with the Cherokee Nation. It allowed for safe passage of settlers using the Kentucky road, running through Cherokee land between the Cumberland Mountain and the Cumberland River, in exchange for hunting rights on all relinquished lands, a further refinement of the Holston Treaty of 1791. By 1803, the demand for salt on Cherokee land in Kentucky dramatically increased when England seized American ships involved the salt trade. In 1805, the remaining Cherokee land in Kentucky was considered crucial to the national security of the United States. Between October 25 and 27, 1805, Kentucky Cherokee Chief Doublehead singed the final Treaties of Tellico, ceding the land south of the Cumberland River. Feeling that they had been betrayed and sold out, Doublehead was assassinated on August 9, 1807 in McIntosh Tavern, Hiwassee, Tennessee, by Charles Hicks, Alexander Saunders, and Major Ridge—his own people.
|30||1814 Pulaski County Property tax records Langdon|
Shows copies from KY archives of Pulaski County KY property tax records of property John Langdon on Pitman Creek. These are property tax records that FIRST appear in 1814. It is concluded that the house at current hwy 192 at Pitman Creek was built in 1814 based on these records. This file shows 1814, 1818 and 1820 with same basic property on Pitman Creek. Langdon appears on Census of 1820 with same neighbors as his widow does in 1830. Property sold to John Colyer by heirs 1842. Concluded that John Colyer log house currently located at Pitman Creek and HWY 192 was built 1814.
|31||1815 August Pulaski County Court Order|
To make the Salt Works Road leading to the Goose Creek salt works in present day town of Machester KY, pass through land of Jesse Richardson on Pitman creek and Blaze Valley.
|32||1815 to 1818 KY land warrant / grant law|
This act appears to have allowed for settler land grants for limited period of time 1815-1818
|33||1816 May Pulaski County Court Order|
whereby Jesse Richardson requests that the Salt Works road to Goose Creek Salt Works in present day Manchester KY pass through his land that is at Blaze Valley and Pitman Creek.
|34||1820 Jefferson County KY census|
Showing John Collier/Colyear next to Lemuel Blevins, believed to be brother to John Colyear wife, Polly Blevins.
|35||1820 Kentucky Widows land grant law|
This act does not appear to have any expire date. The life un-alienable right to land grant to Widows may be a reason the sale deed to John Colyer farm in 1865 by his widow, Lydia, mentions her life right to land and required children to join.
|36||1820 Pulaski County Census image and 1830 extract|
In re: to determine age of log house John Colyer purchased in 1842 from Langdon's that is still standing in 2011: Shows that John Langdon was living in house in 1820, next to the same neighbors his widow Susannah lives next to in 1830 census. The 1810 census was, I have read, destroyed in war of 1812 and the images of the 1810 census available are index images by last name, which are not helpful in locating where people lived by reference to neighbors since in lastname order, not in order as taken. Susannah Langdon sells 200 acre farm to John Colyer in 1842. Therefore, house that is on the same 200 acre farm at Pittman creek in 2011, whose back faces the 1824-1835 road (ie house built before road thus house faces creek) was most likely built in 1806, the year that John John Langdon has a South of Green River Legislative Act of 1795 Land Grant per court records. These Grants required property settlement and improvement w/ cabin or crops. The Grant was for 720 acres. George B. Cooper (neighbor in census of 1820-1830 also got land grant in 1805.
|37||1821, May Pulaski County Court Order: Saltworks Road Jesse Richardson|
Jesse Richardson appointed road surveyor of Saltworks Road from Somerset to Pitman Creek. This is believed to be origin of Mt. Vernon Street going east out current hwy 192 to Pitman creek.
|38||1821, May: Pulaski County Court Order: Saltworks road going east from Pitman creek|
Appears to be road (current hwy 192) going east after crossing Pitman creek to the Long Hollow, sometimes called Sugartree Hollow, going south along Buck Creek.
|39||1822 March Pulaski County Court Order: Salt Works Road (current day hwy 192)|
Jesse Richardson appointed surveyor of road mentioning route from Meece, to John Langdon to Charles Colyear (Colyer). I have not determined if this was Charles Colyer Sr. or Charles Colyer Jr.
|40||1824 Pulaski Court Order Road from Ford at Pitmans Creek at John Langdons|
This is copy of microfilm of Court Order Book September term of 1824 identifying location of Ford at Pitman Creek at John Langdon's...thus establishing age of John Colyer house at that location to be at least as old as 1824. See deed on site in 1842 where John Colyer purchases house/property from Langdon's.
Pulaski County Kentucky Court Order Book 3, page 367B---
"Ordered that Thomas Price be appointed Surveyor of the Road from Pitman's Creek to Buck Creek on the ____ of Tho. Stephens, and that he with hands_____ within the precinct herein after below mentioned, an _____ in good repair according to law, to wit, Beginning at the Ford of Pitmans Creek at John Langdons from thence a straight Corner to the head of Sugartree Hollow from thence down the same to the south thence down Buck Creek to the Whitley Road thence with the same to Pitmans Creek and up the same to the Begg (except John Brinson, Wm Herrin, John Brinson, Senr, John
Herrin & Shaderick Price)." This Court Order helps determine age of Log house that John Colyer bought in 1842 as having been the residence of John Langdon (ie based on location at Pittman Creek ford) as this road order referencing the residence in about 1822. Therefore, since census shows John Langdon in area in 1820, I conclude house there at least since 1820.
|41||1824 Pulaski Cty Court ordered road route Map by satellite |
refers to John Langdon house at Pitman Creek (see deed where John Colyer buys from Widow Langdon) proving existance of house at hwy 192 and Pitman's creek in 1824. This route went out current hwy 192, down poplarville rd, then appears to connect to Hail Bridge Road at Buck creek, up current state route 1643 to Community of Meece then connecting to state route 769 (Rush Branch Road) back up to Pitman Creek, then following Pitman Creek on current Old Alcade Rd.
|42||1824, September Pulaski Court Order: Road now Jarvis Ave and Rush Branch Rd|
Here John Langdon, former owner of John Colyer log house on current day hwy 192, is on committee to find best way for a road from Somerset to the road along Pitman creek ( what in those days was called Whitley Rd). Current day, this road is Jarvis Ave to Rush Branch road to Old Alcade Road...that use to continue to Strawberry/Clay Hill Rd to hwy 192. John Langdon lived at intersection of these roads.
|43||1825 August Pulaski County Court Order: followup to March order mentioning John Langdon's place ( former owner of John Colyer home)|
This helps determine age of John Colyer log house, in this August 1825 order, it appoints William Richardson road surveyor beginning at John Landon's where the Salt Works Road and the Whitley Road intersect (modern day corner of hwy 192 and Clay Hill Road.)
|44||1825, March Pulaski Court Order mentions John Langdon, former owner of John Colyer house|
This helps determine age of John Colyer log house, in this March 1825 order, it appoints William Richardson road surveyor beginning at John Landon's where the Salt Works Road and the Whitley Road interect (modern day corner of hwy 192 and Clay Hill Road.)
|45||1830 Pulaski County KY census extract|
Shows John Collier. The pulaski county census only shows 2 colliers there in 1830, John and Charles. John had large household. See book on site of circuit rider methodist preacher Landrum, who says stayed at Collier's after preaching at William Sears, who lived near the Hails (see 1830 sears census) , my guess across cumberland river from John Collier
|46||1830 Pulaski county Ky census extract (William Sears)|
Shows William Sears referenced on page 58 of Landrum circuit riding methodist preacher 1830
|47||1830 U.S. census, Chenango County NY, Seth Curtis|
|48||1833 Kentucky Legislative Record|
Shows Charles Colyer as legislator of Laurel and Rockcastle counties
|49||1834 ancient map Cumberland River|
Status: LocatedYou must download and install the special Deju browser plug in from here to read this . The Wait-Bluford Colyer deed references land near Beaver Creek. From looking at ancient map of 1834 (djvu format) , it appears that current day Buck Creek used to be called Beaver Creek. Renaming it to Buck Creek appears to have possibly cleared confusion resulting from many nearby creeks emptying into Cumberland River being designated at Beaver Creek as can be seen from the 1834 map referenced above. This indicates that the John Colyer family while living in the Jugornot area of Pulaski County had family friend named Cyrenius Waite that may be reason a child named after him.) See Cyreinus Waite page where History of Pulaski County Book shows Cyrenius Waite owned coal mines at mouth of Buck Creek on Cumberland River.
|50||1835 Kentucky Land Grant law: deligated to county courts|
This act appears to be a land free-for-all act, as it does not require settlement on land, but rather a payment for previously unappropriated land to County Court. The money had to be used by County for roads.