Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Home Search Print Login Add Bookmark
Matches 101 to 150 of 257 » Thumbnails Only
|101||homestead of John Colyer|
Status: LocatedThe original John Colyer farm was located at what is currently highway 192 at Pittman creek. Here is picture of a house that might be of one standing where original homestead of John Colyer stood according to Elaine Avera. The ancient photograph may be the same house as it existed when the John Colyer family lived there. The photo was found in the home of Ray Colyer , Frankfort KY in 2005. You will note that it is an ancient photo (mid to late 1800ís) that had an artistís enhancements such as charcoal/water color touch ups and colorization applied. I traced the deed of the John Colyer property located on current hwy 192 Somerset Ky at the Pulaski County courthouse to a deed located on this site in documents, wherein it proves that the property located at hwy 192 at Pitman Creek is in fact the home place of John Colyer Sr. John Colyer bought the majority if not all the property from a Langdon family by deed in 1842. It is believed the house was built in 1814 (date original owner John Langdon appears on tax records this location). The property was sold by the heirs of John Colyer in September 1865 to Andrew Warren per deed on this site. Per hand notes of Edith Colyer Curtis, a slave cemetery stood 1/4 mile up hill on same side of street as this house. According to Kentucky Place Names publ 1988 Univ Ky Press Robert Rennick, The first post office at this area was established by Mathew Warren July 1888 and called Juno. It was closed 1896. In 1908, a local shopkeeper named Rufe Ashurst reopened it naming it for daughter Ruth, with Mathew Warren again becoming postmaster in 1916. Rufe Ashurst's wife, Ms. Cox, is buried in Soule's Chapel Cemetery per boyscout inventory project of cemetery. Rufe Ashurst was the city of Somerset Engineer per Mar 20 1906 Interior Journal newspaper. He also acted as land agent.
The old photo original has written on back "Colyer, 2109 Ross Ave."
After internet search it was determined that there is not a ross avenue currently in somerset ky. There is however a 2109 ross ave. in fort worth texas. Could this have been where Sam Colyer lived in 1910 ? It is known from family history stories that Sam lived in Ft. Worth for a while and then came back to Somerset after his dad died at the request of his mother.
Maps of Ft. Worth today show this address 2109 Ross Ave. near 21st street in Ft Worth. Search of familysearch.org shows 1910 census of Ft. Worth with Sam Collier and wife Leona and daughter Ruby in the 12th ward. They show Sam as 25 years old, wife as 23 years old daughter Ruby 3 years old.
It was determined that it appears that 2109 Ross Ave, currently one block off 21st St. is in the 12th ward.
THEREFORE, I CONCLUDE THE OLD HOUSE PHOTO BELONGED TO SAM COLYER FAMILY AND THEY HAD WRITTEN THEIR FT. WORTH ADDRESS ON THE BACK OF THE PHOTO WHEN LIVING THERE IN FT. WORTH TEXAS. The foundation, concrete porch and other architecture makes for a conclusion that the picture is NOT of the Sam Colyer residence in Ft Worth Texas. My guess is that a frame shop wrote the Colyer name and Texas address on the back to know whom it belonged once framed. Reviewing the city directory of Ft. Worth TX from 1908 reveals that Sam Colyer lived at 2109 Ross Ave. Google street view of 2109 Ross Ave shows a large 2 story house there today. This could be house from 1908. City directory appears to show two residents at that address and other notations indicating that possibly two families rented the large two story house at 2109 Ross Ave. Conclusion: the old picture of house is not that of 2109 Ross Ave, therefore must have been notation re owner of picture Sam Colyer to identify.
It is possible the picture is of a Sam's wife's Lewis family. However, after renovation work on the place in 2012, it was shown that the there are sections of log missing from the house where the domitory on the right and the dogtrot on the left would have been attached to the section with the fireplace. Therefore it is concluded that in fact, the old picture IS the modern day structure at Hwy 192 and Pitman Creek in Somerset Ky. Based on excavation during renovation, it is thought that the 3 foot high enclosed area to left of porch was the water well next to kitchen.
Tax records on this page show that the property first appeared in 1814 to John Langdon. Based on recent restoration work, and expert advise from Mark Bowe of Greenbriar WV observation, that the house faced the creek when built based on ceiling rafter direction. That the fireplace in this picture was originally a back door. There are two covered 2nd story windows on this fireplace wall in the log structure, which would have been back windows. The original fireplaces would have been on the right and left side of the main structure. The roof would likely have been on the structure the opposite direction to this picture. Based on this and examination during restoration, it is concluded that when John Colyer purchased the home in 1842, a major remodel was done to accomodate his large family. At that time the roof direction was reversed and the side fireplaces removed to accomodate the addition to the right in this picture of the dormitory and on the left of this picture of the summer kitchen and dogtrot. The 1842 remodel also would have put the chimney in the back door as seen in this picture. It is thought at this time the staircase in the home was moved to current location. At his time, the chimney holes on either side were likely enlarged to accomodate the addition of the dog trot/kitchen and side dormitory building. There were other major remodels done to the house in 1865-1900 when the Warren family purchased the home. The ceilings were raised from pioneer era 7 foot level and interior log walls were covered with paneling.
|102||homestead of John Colyer after restoration project 2013|
Restoration project complete on John Colyer house at hwy 192 and Pitman Creek.
|103||Howard Botkin (right) and Carter Joel Botkin 1977|
Visiting Howard Botkin parents' grave Somerset Ky City Cemetery
|104||Howard Botkin 1977|
On a geneaology visit to Missouri with family crest
|105||Huey Ellis Morrison and wife Cinda Mackey|
|106||Hugh (Hewey) Morrison grave|
|107||Hughes house on Strawberry Rd, Ruth KY (somerset)|
House next to mill on Strawberry Rd. LR Hugh Bratschi, Alfred Hughes, Noel Hail, Elizabeth Hughes, Andrew Colyer, Eliza Hughes Colyer, Frank Bratschi, Nora , Fannie, Helen, Sally Hail, Ruth Colyer, Emery.
|108||Isiah Charles Bradshaw|
On way to church, Lousiville 1960's
Abt 1938, In front yard of Sam Colyer on Monticello St and Hope Way Somerset Ky
|111||Jack Curtis 2004|
|112||Jack V. Curtis schoolboy picture|
|113||James Ballou house|
Photo from front page of Somerset Commonwealth Journal newspaper 08/08/13 that was reprinting a Detroit newspaper article in 1950 about the flooding of town of Burnside for Lake Cumberland.
|114||James Ballou house, Burnside KY|
Used by Union General Burnside as headquarters during Civil War
From C Tom Smith photographer files Somerset Ky Library
|116||James Curtis and wife Jemima grave|
Status: LocatedJames Curtis and wife Jemima grave in Moore Cemetery located at end of Corbin Road in East McDonough NY in 2002
|117||James Curtis grave|
James and Jemima Curtis new head stone replacing broken headstone in 2003. Stone was custom made to be close replica of original. Location Moore cemetery , East McDonough NY.
|118||James Wilson Colyer|
|119||Jewelry designed by Lera Colyer as student|
Courtesy Chicago Bauhaus Foundation
|120||Jewelry designed by Lera Colyer as student 1|
Courtesy of Bauhaus Chicago Foundation
|121||Jewelry designed by Lera Colyer as student 2|
Courtesy of Chicago Bauhaus Foundation
|122||Jewelry designed by Lera Colyer as student 3|
Courtesy Chicago Bauhaus Foundation
|123||Jewelry designed by Lera Colyer as student 4|
Courtesy Chicago Bauhaus Foundation
|124||Jimmy Chestnut Jr.|
Taken 11/6/13 at Clay Hill Baptist Church
|126||John Allen Parsons|
|127||John and Lovina Fitts (sister to Seths wife Anna) Carpenter grave|
Status: LocatedJohn and Lovina Fitts (sister to Seths wife Anna) Carpenter grave Moore Cemetery E. McDonough NY. See documentation page for link to copy of Lovina Fitts Carpenter's will wherein she leaves money to her nephew John Thurston Curtis in Somerset KY and also to John Carpenter Curtis (her grand nephew) in Somerset KY in 1899
|128||John Arnold Curtis Sr.|
|129||John Carpenter and Earl Curtis|
Status: LocatedJohn Carpenter and Earl Curtis (son) standing by their Somerset Ky Flour Mill delivery truck. This was the first gasoline powered truck in Somerset according to Glenn Curtis. He said the engine was up under the seat and had a crank starter.
|130||John Carpenter Curtis|
Status: LocatedThis is a photo of John Carpenter Curtis with his youngest son Glenn about 1919
|131||John Carpenter Curtis|
Status: LocatedThis is a picture of John Carpenter Curtis and wife Savannah and children from about 1900
|132||John Carpenter Curtis and his wife Savannah|
Status: LocatedThis is a photo of John Carpenter Curtis and his wife Savannah when they were just married. This is about 1890
|133||John Carpenter Curtis and wife Savannah|
Status: LocatedPer Dot Fabel, taken after great depression home foreclosure of home on Main Street while "Jack" and Vannie were living in rented house located at 218 Jasper Street, Somerset Ky.
|134||John Carpenter Curtis Family|
Status: LocatedThis is photo of the 5 Curtis of Somerset brothers sons of John Carpenter and Savanah Botkins Curtis. Believed to have been taken in 1922 reunion mentioned in local paper of Curtis brothers. They are from young to old (bottom to top) Glenn, Arnold, Charlie, Earl, Ralph
|135||John Carpenter Curtis house on North Main Street Somerset KY.|
Photo taken in 2004 and identified by Jack Curtis, grandson. This is house where John (Jack) Carpenter Curtis family lived during his most successful years as the builder, owner and operator of the Somerset Flour mill prior to its loss during the great depression. It is located on what is locally known as Harvey's Hill, a modern day historic district of Somerset.
|136||John Colyer farm|
Status: LocatedThe original John Colyer farm was located at what is currently highway 192 at Pittman creek near Somerset, Ky. Here is picture of land that was the original farm. Now known locally as the old Warren farm.
|137||John Colyer grave|
Status: LocatedPhoto of gravestone of John Colyer in Soule's Chapel cemetery. (updated photo in 2004) The stone very difficult to read in 2004 says this the best I can make it out "
In Memory of
Was born in Virginia in
Year of Our Lord 1781
Was married in 1818 _____
Moved Pulaski County
KY in the year of our Lord
1808. __ was a member
of ____ ____ ___ years
Died August _, 1851
Note that it says that John Colyer was born in Virginia. So it appears that William Colyar of Washington County TN migrated to banks of Nolichucky after 1781 but before 1790 for that is when he shows up there in Washington county TN on tax lists in 1790. Alternatively, William and his wife Agnes Nancy Ann Sinclair could have gone back to her parentís home in Sinclair Bottom Virginia for birth of John. Tennessee was new settlement at the time. See last page of write up on Grenade Colyer from files of Dean Hunter that has copy of info on Virginia history references to Colyers. It shows a William Collier who was said to be a trapper and hunter. Also, note that the obituary of Charles Granade Colyer below, says that John Colyer was first married to a miss Sinclair rather than a Martha Minus. This is interesting given the Sinclair connection from John's father. It may however be erroneous based upon research done by descendant of Martha Minus and John Colyer......Mr. John Parsons of Tullahoma TN. Perhaps the writer of the obituary had confused Mr. John Colyer's mother maiden name with that of his first wife, as other earlier sources also state that John Colyerís first wife was a lady named Minus---see letter from Dr. Welby Colyer above that gives Minus as the first wife name. Later DNA research on Colyer men, connect one John Colyer Jr., son of this John Colyer born 1781, the son being the one that settled in the Bronston KY area, to the other John Colyer 1781 descendants. This Bronston KY John Colyer death record says his mother was named POLLY. This discredits the name of first wife of John Colyer 1781 being Martha Minus. It was concluded that her name must have really been Polly Sinclair or St. Clair. See link to inventory of Soule's Chapel cemetery here:
|138||John Colyer grave|
Status: Locatedin Soule's chapel cemetery Somerset Ky. See this link for complete map and inventory of Soule's Chapel cemetery:
|139||John Colyer grave stone|
Thanks to Wesley M. Colyer for this great photo of the grave stone of John Colyer born 1781 at Soule's Chapel before the chapel burned down.
|140||John Colyer homeplace owned by Warrens in 1925|
Thanks to Dexter Alexander for this old photo of what then in 1925 was the Warren place. This photo shows when the windows were on the north wall upstairs and the chimney was in the original location.
Inscription on photo's back by John Dexter Alexander (1920 - 2005): "Dad & Mom - John Dexter - Dad holding Roy (before Bob was born). Uncle Ed Aunt Pearlie Warren son Robert - Edith Warren - Dad's Model T - Taken at Uncle Ed Warren's home about 1925." Dad is John Elmer Alexander (1887 - 1968). He is holding his son Roy M. Alexander (1926 - 2007). Mom is Louise "Lula" Pearl Phelps Alexander (1888 - 1969). Bob is Robert E. Alexander (1929 - 1991)
|141||John Colyer house High Resolution version|
Photo of old picture of what is believed to be the old John Colyer house in Ruth Ky. This a high resolution version
|142||John Colyer Jr.|
Obtained from grandson John Parsons of Tullahoma TN
|143||John Emery Curtis|
John Emery Curtis with his distant cousin , Leslie McCullough Zaricki, during a get together memorial of his father, John Arnold Curtis Jr. in 2007
|144||John Thurston Curtis|
|145||Joseph Bell Curtis iv - grave|
from findagrave.com by Parks Honeywell Memorial# 27227108 2015: located north of Schenectady NY farm site of Joseph Curtis at 1556 Duanesburg-Churches Road, Co. Rd. 127, Delanson, NY 12053 passed to MacMillan, then Wilbur. Graves across pasture, down a gully, up through woods to edge of the hillside.
|146||Joseph Curtis 1675 grave|
|147||Joseph Curtis 1675 Wethersfield grave|
|148||Joseph Curtiss 1675 grave Wethersfield CT|
|149||Joseph Curtiss grave Wethersfield CT|
|150||Julia Ackley Curtis|
Status: Locatedwife of John Thurston Curtis