Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Home Search Print Login Add Bookmark
Matches 51 to 100 of 256 » Thumbnails Only
|51||Civil War memorial in McDonough NY 2|
Status: LocatedCivil War memorial in McDonough NY that has Charles Curtis listed as having died in service. Charles was the son of Seth Curtis and brother to John Thurston Curtis, who migrated to KY from NY.
|52||Clay Hill baptist church Ruth, KY|
Status: LocatedHere is picture of Clay Hill baptist church and cemetery where Charles Granade Colyer is buried as well as picture of Charles grave and that of his wife Louisa Jane Meece Colyer
Curtis sons of John Carpenter Curtis and wives, apparently taken at John Carpenter Curtis house atop Harvey's Hill, North Main Street Somerset Ky
|54||Curtis men of Somerset, Ky|
Left to right, Ralph, Charlie, John Arnold, Earl, Glenn Curtis. Photo taken at Earl Curtis home in Somerset KY. Per Lavonia Curtis Hyman, Ralph worked in NYC many years for Prentice Hall legal/tax publishers; Charlie in building management in NYC; John Arnold in accounting in Springfield OH; Earl at the flour mill in Somerset; Glenn in cleaning chemical sales in Lousiville.
|55||Cyrenius E. Colyer|
Photo purchased by researcher John Parsons on web. Photo dated August 1892 of Cyrenius E. Colyer
Per Rod Zimmerman , administrator, of Pulaski County Kentucky facebook group
|57||Cyrenius Wait birth record from Town of Chester Massachusetts 1791|
Parents are Jonathan and Margaret
|58||David Alexander Colyer tombstone|
David Alexander Colyer tombstone in Butler, MO in early 2005
|59||Dot Curtis Schoolgirl picture|
|60||Dr. Samuel Owens House 2004.|
Home in Somerset Ky (Pisgah area near waitsboro) where Dr. Samuel Owens and then his daughter Evelyn (Eva) Owens with husband Otha Vaughan lived and raised their families. Mary Wells Curtis and family often visited her on Sundays. This photo taken on trip with Jack Curtis in 2004, who pointed out the house location.
|61||Dr. Welby A. Colyer|
|62||Earl and Mary Wells Curtis house|
224 South Central Ave Somerset Ky, lived here about 1940 to 1992
|63||Earl and Mary Wells Curtis house Somerset Ky|
224 South Central Ave, Somerset Ky. Lived here from 1941 to 1992
|64||Earl Botkin Curtis|
Status: LocatedEarl Botkin Curtis with His father John Carpenter Curtis apparently on Sunday afternoon outing with automobile
|65||Earl Botkin Curtis|
Status: LocatedThis is Earl Botkin Curtis in driving his horse & buggy about 1915
|66||Earl Botkin Curtis|
Status: LocatedThis is Earl Botkin Curtis on early automobile about 1920
|67||Earl Botkin Curtis and girlfriend MaryWells Vaughan|
Status: LocatedThis is Earl Botkin Curtis and girlfriend MaryWells Vaughan about 1916.
Status: LocatedEarl with his baby brother Glenn about 1922.
|69||Edith Bradley Chestnut|
|70||Edith Colyer Curtis|
In home of Earl Curtis, Somerset abt 1970
|71||Edith Colyer Curtis about 1938|
|72||Edith Colyer Curtis about 1940|
Edith, in front yard of father Sam Colyer home on Monticello St. , and Hope road, Somerset Ky
|73||Edith Colyer Curtis, abt 1967|
Louisville Ky home
|74||Edith Colyer Curtis, with sons Vaughan, Richard|
|75||Edna Curtis grave stone|
Located at back of Double Springs Cemetery in Waynesburg KY. At the time of burial the Double Springs Baptist Church was located at the Cemetery. Her Father Fred Percival Curtis and Grandfather John Thurston Curtis had adjoining farms about 1.5 miles south between what is not hwy 27 and the railroad tracks. Total acreage between the two farms was 300 acres. Fred sold in the late 1880's and evidently moved in to Somerset.
|76||Elizabeth McFarland Vaughan|
courtesy of Candice Bray Badgett, Pulaski County Ky facebook group
|78||Estimated 25th class reunion in about 1961 at Beecher Hotel of Somerset Ky High School class of 1936|
Edith Curtis, Jack Curtis, Fred Moore, Evelyn Moore, Bill Hall, Virgie Hall, John Prather Attorney.
|79||Eva Lou Ash 1950 yearbook|
Status: LocatedEvelyn Curtis Schoolgirl picture
|81||Evelyn Curtis Moore|
Status: LocatedEvelyn Curtis Moore
|82||Francis M. Curtis feed store|
Status: LocatedFrancis M. Curtis feed store about 1910 in Cincinnatus NY. Francis was great grandson of James Curtis (revolutionary war soldier buried in McDonough NY) . Photo from old postcards obtained on visit to Cincinnatus NY.
|83||Frank Sokolik photo in 1948 magazine|
|84||Fred Moore, Sr|
Status: LocatedFred Moore, Sr.
website of Fred Moore Music company as it appeared 2010
|87||Ft. Worth Texas City Directory 1908|
Shows Sam Colyer residence address while living in Ft. Worth Texas
|88||Ft. Worth Texas City Directory 1908|
Shows 2 two residents at 2109 Ross Ave., therefore conclusion that Sam Colyer was renting half of the house at this address as residence as a 25 year old (per 1910 census) while living in Ft. Worth Texas
|89||Garden of the Gospels section of Mt Olivet Cemetery, grave site of Charles G. Colyer Jr.|
|90||Gene Curtis, from Somerset Ky Obit|
|91||Glenn Curtis with Mother Savanah|
|92||Grave of Arthur St. Clair Colyar|
Grave of A.S Colyar in Nashville TN
|93||grave stone Cyrenius Wait|
In Sinking Creek cemetery Somerset Ky
|94||Greenwood Ky Lewis home L-R: Ray Colyer, Bryan Lewis, Owens Lewis, Magola Lewis, Leona Lewis Colyer|
Taken at Clay Hill Baptist Church iphone 11/6/13
On his 350 acre cattle farm off Strawberry Rd/Rush Branch Rd, Somerset Ky.
|97||Harold Colyer Farm on Rush Branch and Strawberry Rd Somerset Ky|
According to Harold, he bought the farm at auction from his father, Neal's, estate. Over the years he had added about 300 acres to his father's family farm. Harold said in telephone interview 9/6/13 he was born and raised on this farm.
|98||Harold Morrison in 1966|
1966 Album cover from the Wilburn Brothers TV show. Harold and Loretta Lynn were regulars, but Ernest Tubb was a guest. This is the European relase....the U.S. release was on Decca Records.
|99||homestead of John Colyer|
Status: LocatedThe original John Colyer farm was located at what is currently highway 192 at Pittman creek. Here is a 2004 picture of house standing where original homestead of John Colyer stood according to Elaine Avera. Per hand notes of Edith Colyer Curtis, a slave cemetery stood 1/4 mile up hill on same side of street as this house.
|100||homestead of John Colyer|
Status: LocatedThe original John Colyer farm was located at what is currently highway 192 at Pittman creek. Here is picture of a house that might be of one standing where original homestead of John Colyer stood according to Elaine Avera. The ancient photograph may be the same house as it existed when the John Colyer family lived there. The photo was found in the home of Ray Colyer , Frankfort KY in 2005. You will note that it is an ancient photo (mid to late 1800ís) that had an artistís enhancements such as charcoal/water color touch ups and colorization applied. I traced the deed of the John Colyer property located on current hwy 192 Somerset Ky at the Pulaski County courthouse to a deed located on this site in documents, wherein it proves that the property located at hwy 192 at Pitman Creek is in fact the home place of John Colyer Sr. John Colyer bought the majority if not all the property from a Langdon family by deed in 1842. It is believed the house was built in 1814 (date original owner John Langdon appears on tax records this location). The property was sold by the heirs of John Colyer in September 1865 to Andrew Warren per deed on this site. Per hand notes of Edith Colyer Curtis, a slave cemetery stood 1/4 mile up hill on same side of street as this house. According to Kentucky Place Names publ 1988 Univ Ky Press Robert Rennick, The first post office at this area was established by Mathew Warren July 1888 and called Juno. It was closed 1896. In 1908, a local shopkeeper named Rufe Ashurst reopened it naming it for daughter Ruth, with Mathew Warren again becoming postmaster in 1916. Rufe Ashurst's wife, Ms. Cox, is buried in Soule's Chapel Cemetery per boyscout inventory project of cemetery. Rufe Ashurst was the city of Somerset Engineer per Mar 20 1906 Interior Journal newspaper. He also acted as land agent.
The old photo original has written on back "Colyer, 2109 Ross Ave."
After internet search it was determined that there is not a ross avenue currently in somerset ky. There is however a 2109 ross ave. in fort worth texas. Could this have been where Sam Colyer lived in 1910 ? It is known from family history stories that Sam lived in Ft. Worth for a while and then came back to Somerset after his dad died at the request of his mother.
Maps of Ft. Worth today show this address 2109 Ross Ave. near 21st street in Ft Worth. Search of familysearch.org shows 1910 census of Ft. Worth with Sam Collier and wife Leona and daughter Ruby in the 12th ward. They show Sam as 25 years old, wife as 23 years old daughter Ruby 3 years old.
It was determined that it appears that 2109 Ross Ave, currently one block off 21st St. is in the 12th ward.
THEREFORE, I CONCLUDE THE OLD HOUSE PHOTO BELONGED TO SAM COLYER FAMILY AND THEY HAD WRITTEN THEIR FT. WORTH ADDRESS ON THE BACK OF THE PHOTO WHEN LIVING THERE IN FT. WORTH TEXAS. The foundation, concrete porch and other architecture makes for a conclusion that the picture is NOT of the Sam Colyer residence in Ft Worth Texas. My guess is that a frame shop wrote the Colyer name and Texas address on the back to know whom it belonged once framed. Reviewing the city directory of Ft. Worth TX from 1908 reveals that Sam Colyer lived at 2109 Ross Ave. Google street view of 2109 Ross Ave shows a large 2 story house there today. This could be house from 1908. City directory appears to show two residents at that address and other notations indicating that possibly two families rented the large two story house at 2109 Ross Ave. Conclusion: the old picture of house is not that of 2109 Ross Ave, therefore must have been notation re owner of picture Sam Colyer to identify.
It is possible the picture is of a Sam's wife's Lewis family. However, after renovation work on the place in 2012, it was shown that the there are sections of log missing from the house where the domitory on the right and the dogtrot on the left would have been attached to the section with the fireplace. Therefore it is concluded that in fact, the old picture IS the modern day structure at Hwy 192 and Pitman Creek in Somerset Ky. Based on excavation during renovation, it is thought that the 3 foot high enclosed area to left of porch was the water well next to kitchen.
Tax records on this page show that the property first appeared in 1814 to John Langdon. Based on recent restoration work, and expert advise from Mark Bowe of Greenbriar WV observation, that the house faced the creek when built based on ceiling rafter direction. That the fireplace in this picture was originally a back door. There are two covered 2nd story windows on this fireplace wall in the log structure, which would have been back windows. The original fireplaces would have been on the right and left side of the main structure. The roof would likely have been on the structure the opposite direction to this picture. Based on this and examination during restoration, it is concluded that when John Colyer purchased the home in 1842, a major remodel was done to accomodate his large family. At that time the roof direction was reversed and the side fireplaces removed to accomodate the addition to the right in this picture of the dormitory and on the left of this picture of the summer kitchen and dogtrot. The 1842 remodel also would have put the chimney in the back door as seen in this picture. It is thought at this time the staircase in the home was moved to current location. At his time, the chimney holes on either side were likely enlarged to accomodate the addition of the dog trot/kitchen and side dormitory building. There were other major remodels done to the house in 1865-1900 when the Warren family purchased the home. The ceilings were raised from pioneer era 7 foot level and interior log walls were covered with paneling.