- Editors note: This Joseph Curtis may not be related to the Joseph Curtis who came to Amenia/Smithfield NY from Wetherfield CT. This Joseph may be from John Curtis os Nazing Enland line.
Joseph Curtis came from Stratford, Conn., and settled on the north line of the town, on lot 4, and died July 15, 1840, aged 66, and Naomi, his wife, Oct. 9, 1846, aged 70. Robert, Samuel and Timothy Curtis came from the same place about the same time. Robert settled on land purchased of Nehemiah Thompson, on lot 17; and Samuel and Timothy, on Stratford street. Samuel died April 28, 1853, aged 85, and Lucinda, his wife, Aug. 30, 1855, aged 81.
Image for History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York ]
still known as Cleveland's mill. It is located on Oriskany creek, and is owned by Lyman Tyler. On the same dam is a saw-mill, which was also built by Cleveland, and is now owned by Adelbert Lyon.
Mr. Isaac Coe was born in Stratford, Conn., Nov. 22d, 1772, and married Polly Curtis, daughter of Joseph Curtis, of Stratford, Conn. She was born March 29th, 1775, and married Sept. 5th, 1796. The fruits of this marriage were eight children--three sons and five daughters--namely: Maria, born in Conn., Sept. 15, 1797; Isaac. born January 31, 1799; Huldah, born Jan. 30, 1802, and died March 10, 1870. She was the wife of Asa Holt. Eli, born July 23, 1805, and died June 24, 1829; Mary, born in Madison county, March 13, 1810, and died Jan. 14, 1862; John B., born Jan. 5, 1813; Eliza, born Dec. 19, 1814; Arietta, born Oct. 23, 1818.
Isaac Coe was not as highly favored as many others with school privileges, but he was endowed with a quick and active mind, wise in his conclusions and able to give a reason for his views, which caused many to seek his advice and counsel. In early life he applied himself to farming, also engaging in the boot and shoe trade. In 1806 he sought a home in the west. Packing his goods, he, with his family consisting of wife and four children, moved to what at that time was considered quite a western section, Madison county. Here he purchased a large tract of land. He was very active in the building up, and development of the county. He soon gathered around him a large circle of friends holding their good will and respect until his death, which occurred June 23d, 1841. His wife, Polly Coe, died Nov. 27th, 1858. Mr. Coe, during the war of 1812, manifested his patriotism by engaging in it, showing himself a faithful soldier. He was a successful business man, leaving at his death a fine property. Three of his daughters occupy the old homestead and retain one hundred and sixty acres of fine farm land.
History of Church at Smithfield NY, near Bockey Wheaton cemetery where Joseph Curtis buried, shows it was a Great Awakening Church ("New Lights") and that George Whitefield preached one of his last sermons there in 1770. Mr. Whitefield had previously preached at Joseph Curtis father church in Wethersfield CT in 1740. From book History of Amenia NY:
THE CHURCH AT THE CITY. Of the church at the City,'"' in the west part of the town, there are no very early records. The oldest record now known begins, " The Records of the church of Christ in the towns of Amenia, Washington, and Stanford, Dutchess county, A. D. 1787, commonly known by the name of the United Congregational Church of Christ in Westfield Society." Then again " April 9, 1787, A solemn fast was held and two sermons were delivered, one by the Rev. John Cornwall, the other by the Rev. Blackleach Burritt, after which the following persons signed the covenant."t During the year 1787 thirty-six other names v/ere added. This could not have been the first institution of religious worship and of the ordinances by that people, as there was a house of worship erected there in 1750, which gave place to another in 1814, both on the site of the. * The "City" received that name, at the first settlement of the place, because three log houses were built there near each other. Those who flrst signed the covenant in 1787 were Stephen Kinnev, Kobert Willson, Timothy Wheeler, Joshua Wells, Jun., John Curtis, Selali AVells, VVm. Bell, Elizabeth Willson, Elizabeth Wheeler, Mary Curtis, Rebecca Shumday, Ahijrail Kinney, Anna Elliot, Anna Adams, Afterwards, Asa Hollister, Elisha Adams. Kojrer Southerland, Thomas Willson, Henry Kinney, Isaac Hunting, Kobert Willson, Jun., Joel Smith, John Slawter, Elijah Allen, Benj. Denton, <&c. present church edifice.^ That so many were ready to enter into covenant that year, and that they had a name by which they were " commonly known," indicate that this was a re-organization, or a more perfect organization of a Christian community. In 1812, July 7, "The Society unanimously voted that the church give the Rev. Eli Hydef a call to preach at the City Meeting-house, Smithfield Society, with this proviso, that all proper means be used to unite the two societies, and that the meetings be proportioned at the two houses as they shall agree. The other "Society" and "House" refer to the Separate Meeting-house and Society,'! which was located about two miles south of the City. There are no records whatever or tradition that shows the origin of that society, or of its name, or the reason of any division among this excellent Christian people. Perhaps the cause of any strife is now happily forgotten. It is a reasonable theory, suggested by the name, and by a history§ of the times, that a part of the church at the City became Separatists, or New Lights, and withdrew from the old church, in the early history of the congregation, when so many of the churches were agitated by that schism. The conservative and safer sentiments! of the congregation seems to have prevail- * In front of this church edifice was a little grove ofoaks?one of which remains. Under the shade of this grove a great congregation were assembled, June 20, 1770, and heard a sermon by that wonderful preacher, George Whitefield. Every place where he ministered seems to have been remembered, and all who heard his discourse rehearsed it to the generations that came after them. The Rev. Eli Hyde came to this church from Oxford, Chenango county, N. Y. Rev. Job Swift, D.D., afterwards of Bennington, Vt., was minister at the City in 1782. X The Separate Meeting-house?now standing?was built some years before the revolutionary war. Rev. John Cornwall, of Cornwall, Conn., resided near and ministered there many years.
Reed, Newton. Early History of Amenia (Kindle Locations 838-841). Amenia, N.Y., De Lacey & Wiley, Printers. Kindle Edition.