Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Home Search Print Login Add Bookmark
Matches 51 to 100 of 957 » Thumbnails Only
|51||1815 Pulaski County KY property tax Charles Colyer and Richard Colyer|
It is shown by a Rockcastle County Ky property tax listing that Charles Colyer born 1757 lands spanned Pulaski County and Rockcastle County on Brush Creek (at current hwy 461). Note that part of Pulaski land is shown as surveyed by Thos. Hutchings who is subject of law suits and deeds on under Charles of 1757 with Andrew Jackson.
|52||1815 to 1818 KY land warrant / grant law|
This act appears to have allowed for settler land grants for limited period of time 1815-1818
|53||1816 deed From Robt Scott to John Langdon 70 acre|
This adds 70 acres to the 144 acres John Langdon purchased from Henry Waggoner in 1813 on Pitman Creek to form the farm and woods property on Pitman Creek. John Langdon estate in 1842 then sells this joint property in 2 tracts to John Colyer.
|54||1816 May Pulaski County Court Order|
whereby Jesse Richardson requests that the Salt Works road to Goose Creek Salt Works in present day Manchester KY pass through his land that is at Blaze Valley and Pitman Creek.
|55||1816 Pulaski County Road order Iron Works on Buck Creek from mouth of Rockcastle River.|
John Colyer on committee to route a road from Rockcastle River to Buck Creek.
|56||1817 Charles Colyer land grant on Brush Creek at Buck creek sold|
|57||1817 January Pulaski County KY court order for road to Iron Works on Buck Creek mentions James Purvis|
This with other docs suggests that James Purvis lived in a vicinity of current hwy 192 and Buck Creek
|58||1817 June Pulaski Count KY court road order regarding Iron Works mentions James Purvis|
This with other docs suggests that James Purvis lived in a vicinity of current hwy 192 and Buck Creek
|59||1817 Stephen A Curtis deed|
Appears to be first land owned by Curtis brothers. Seth had purchase deed in 1818. Brothers appears to moved to McDonough working in sawmills and eventually buy land. Their mother/father living with them and buried there in 1808 and 1819.
|60||1818 Seth Curtis deed 50 Acres|
McDonough NY. The 13th District, out of 20 in Chenango county, is McDonough
|61||1819 Pulaski County KY property tax record Charles Sr and Richard Colyer|
Apparently, this is Charles Colyer Sr., since in 1820 prop tax record a Charles Jr. shows up without land.
|62||1820 Jefferson County KY census|
Showing John Collier/Colyear next to Lemuel Blevins, believed to be brother to John Colyear wife, Polly Blevins.
|63||1820 Kentucky Widows land grant law|
This act does not appear to have any expire date. The life un-alienable right to land grant to Widows may be a reason the sale deed to John Colyer farm in 1865 by his widow, Lydia, mentions her life right to land and required children to join.
|64||1820 Pulaski County Census image and 1830 extract|
In re: to determine age of log house John Colyer purchased in 1842 from Langdon's that is still standing in 2011: Shows that John Langdon was living in house in 1820, next to the same neighbors his widow Susannah lives next to in 1830 census. The 1810 census was, I have read, destroyed in war of 1812 and the images of the 1810 census available are index images by last name, which are not helpful in locating where people lived by reference to neighbors since in lastname order, not in order as taken. Susannah Langdon sells 200 acre farm to John Colyer in 1842. Therefore, house that is on the same 200 acre farm at Pittman creek in 2011, whose back faces the 1824-1835 road (ie house built before road thus house faces creek) was most likely built in 1806, the year that John John Langdon has a South of Green River Legislative Act of 1795 Land Grant per court records. These Grants required property settlement and improvement w/ cabin or crops. The Grant was for 720 acres. George B. Cooper (neighbor in census of 1820-1830 also got land grant in 1805.
|65||1820 Pulaski County census Richard Colyer|
Charles Colyer and Richard Colyer....may be on current hwy 461 or possible on current hwy 192.
|66||1820 Pulaski County KY June Court: recording 1801 town plat Somerset|
This will be basis to trace various deeds to locations within the town of Somerset that Cyrenius Wait purchased over the years.
|67||1820 Pulaski prop tax- assumed to be Charles Colyer Jr.|
since Charles Sr. has long time been on brush creek at Pulaski Rockcastle county lines.
|68||1820 Pulaski property tax Charles Colyer Sr.|
|69||1820 Rockcastle County prop tax--Stephen, Richard, and John Sr.(1744) and an unidentified William Colyer.|
property believed to be at the Pulaski County / Rockcastle county line on current day hwy 461
|70||1820 Rockcastle prop tax. Charles Colyer Sr.|
This appears to be land acquired from Thomas Hutchings estate via Andrew Jackson. Also shows John Colyer, presumed to be solder born 1744 injured in Revolutionary war.
|71||1820's - 1840's deed plat|
Various deeds to Cyrenius Wait are labeled on a replica of the Town of Somerset town plat and the year recorded.
|72||1821, May Pulaski County Court Order: Saltworks Road Jesse Richardson|
Jesse Richardson appointed road surveyor of Saltworks Road from Somerset to Pitman Creek. This is believed to be origin of Mt. Vernon Street going east out current hwy 192 to Pitman creek.
|73||1821, May: Pulaski County Court Order: Saltworks road going east from Pitman creek|
Appears to be road (current hwy 192) going east after crossing Pitman creek to the Long Hollow, sometimes called Sugartree Hollow, going south along Buck Creek.
|74||1822 James Purvis KY land grant 50 acres|
On waters of Buck Creek, next to Stephen Hail property, based on IronWorks road orders, believed to be near current Hwy 192 at Poplarville Rd...maybe near Jesse Sears Rd.
|75||1822 March Pulaski County Court Order: Salt Works Road (current day hwy 692)|
Jesse Richardson appointed surveyor of road mentioning route from Meece, to John Langdon (at pitman creek and hwy 192) to Charles Colyear (Colyer). I have not determined if this was Charles Colyer Sr. or Charles Colyer Jr. Based on 1823 deed to Charles Colyer on Pitman Creek, it appears that Charles Colyer (likely Jr.) had 67 acres closer to current Grundy Rd (hwy 692) on Pitman Creek. It appears this road order is in the direction from Pitman creek on hwy 192 to Grundy Rd hwy 692 and down the same toward where Pitman creek crosses Grundy Rd hwy 692.
|76||1823 Pulaski county deed from Wm Hargis to Charles Colyer--believed to be Jr.|
|77||1823 Pulaski county tax- Charles Colyer Sr.|
on Brush Creek at Rockcastle county line on current hwy 461
|78||1824 Charles Colyer land grant sold to Thompson at Brush creek at Buck Creek|
|79||1824 Pulaski Court Order Road from Ford at Pitmans Creek at John Langdons|
This is copy of microfilm of Court Order Book September term of 1824 identifying location of Ford at Pitman Creek at John Langdon's...thus establishing age of John Colyer house at that location to be at least as old as 1824. See deed on site in 1842 where John Colyer purchases house/property from Langdon's.
Pulaski County Kentucky Court Order Book 3, page 367B---
"Ordered that Thomas Price be appointed Surveyor of the Road from Pitman's Creek to Buck Creek on the ____ of Tho. Stephens, and that he with hands_____ within the precinct herein after below mentioned, an _____ in good repair according to law, to wit, Beginning at the Ford of Pitmans Creek at John Langdons from thence a straight Corner to the head of Sugartree Hollow from thence down the same to the south thence down Buck Creek to the Whitley Road thence with the same to Pitmans Creek and up the same to the Begg (except John Brinson, Wm Herrin, John Brinson, Senr, John
Herrin & Shaderick Price)." This Court Order helps determine age of Log house that John Colyer bought in 1842 as having been the residence of John Langdon (ie based on location at Pittman Creek ford) as this road order referencing the residence in about 1822. Therefore, since census shows John Langdon in area in 1820, I conclude house there at least since 1820.
|80||1824 Pulaski Cty Court ordered road route Map by satellite |
refers to John Langdon house at Pitman Creek (see deed where John Colyer buys from Widow Langdon) proving existance of house at hwy 192 and Pitman's creek in 1824. This route went out current hwy 192, down poplarville rd, then appears to connect to Hail Bridge Road at Buck creek, up current state route 1643 to Community of Meece then connecting to state route 769 (Rush Branch Road) back up to Pitman Creek, then following Pitman Creek on current Old Alcade Rd.
|81||1824 Pulaski prop tax. Charles Colyer Jr.|
Land from Hargis.
|82||1824 Seth Curtis & partners deed on purchase of Saw Mill|
Seth Curtis partners , Benjamin Randall and John Wilcox are brother-in-laws.
|83||1824, September Pulaski Court Order: Road now Jarvis Ave and Rush Branch Rd|
Here John Langdon, former owner of John Colyer log house on current day hwy 192, is on committee to find best way for a road from Somerset to the road along Pitman creek ( what in those days was called Whitley Rd). Current day, this road is thought to be Murphy Ave to Elihu Rush Branch to Rush Branch road to Old Alcade Road ...that use to continue to Strawberry/Clay Hill Rd to hwy 192. John Langdon lived at Whitley Rd and Pitman Creek. Currently that is Hwy 192 at Clay Hill Rd. Evidence in other road orders 1824, 1835: show that Landon house was on Whitley Rd. The road orders in 1824, 1825 and 1835 shows that what is now Rush Branch Rd (formerly Whitley Rd) used to come toward Somerset until reaching Pitman Creek then turn right and follow Pitman Creek until there was a ford at the Landon/Colyer house. Then in 1824 with this court order, a road is ordered to connect Somerset to the Whitley Rd(road along pitman creek) via Elihu. Previously, it appears the Whitley road came into Somerset by merging at current day hwy 692 Grundy Road-Salt Works Road and continue into East Mt. Vernon. The road with this order to do so via area close to mouth of Rush Branch stream of pitman creek at Wm Owens house at Elihu. Maps attached to this doc.
|84||1825 August Pulaski County Court Order: followup to March order mentioning John Langdon's place ( former owner of John Colyer home)|
This helps determine age of John Colyer log house, in this August 1825 order, it appoints William Richardson road surveyor beginning at John Landon's on Whitley Rd to where the Salt Works Road and the Whitley Road intersect (modern day corner of hwy 192 and Grundy Rd/hwy 692.)
|85||1825 John Colyer 50 acre land grant Lick Branch area of Buck Creek/Cumberland River|
|86||1825 John Colyer land grant Little Lick Branch modern map area|
|87||1825 Land Grant 50 Acre to John Colyer at Buck Creek and Cumberland River|
On old maps, Buck Creek was called Beaver Creek. This grant shows ownership of the mouth of Buck Creek and all the way across the Cumberland River and land on the south side of the River as well.
At least part of this land descended to elder son of John Colyer named Bluford Colyer and within a year is foreclosed upon and sold at auction to Cyrenius Wait. See documents under Bluford Colyer and Cyrenius Wait.
|88||1825 Marriage record Betsy Purvis and Morgan Colyer|
|89||1825 Seth Curtis deed adjoining farm Corbin Rd , McDonough NY|
|90||1825, March Pulaski Court Order mentions John Langdon, former owner of John Colyer house|
This helps determine age of John Colyer log house, in this March 1825 order, it appoints William Richardson road surveyor beginning at John Landon's to where the road intersects the salt works Rd (modern day corner of hwy 192 and Grundy Rd.)
|91||1826 Free Frank McWhorter land grant|
slave who bought his freedom, took master's last name, gets land grant on fishing creek pulaski county ky, source of salt peter cave that generated income to purchase his entire family freedom. Moved to ILL and established freed black town of New Philidephia ILL. In papers of Cyrenius Wait, likely to establish chain of title for land later purchased.
|92||1826 John Colyer 50 acre land grant on Little Lick Branch in area of Buck Creek and Cumberland River|
Charles Tomlinson, reportedly an early Pulaski County sheriff, got the land survey and grant and assigned/sold to John Colyer. Charles Tomlinson had accumulated 1200 acres by 1834 when he sells all his 1200 acres to his brother John Tomlinson. Charles moves to Arkansas and then California in gold rush. Tomlinson children are buried Keeney cemetery on Clay Hill Rd.
|93||1826 John Colyer Puncheon Hollow 50 Acre land grant in Jugornot region/Cumberland River area|
|94||1826 John Colyer- tax commissioner|
|95||1826 Marriage Record Nancy Purvis and Henry Chaudowin|
|96||1826 Pulaski County court of appeals John Colyer VS James Purvis|
Do not know nature of this in-law dispute, but John Colyer looses appeal.
|97||1827 Free Frank McWhorter land grant|
slave who bought his freedom, took master's last name, gets land grant on fishing creek pulaski county ky, souce or salt peter cave that generated income to purchase his entire family freedom. Moved to ILL and established freed black town of New Philidephia ILL. In papers of Cyrenius Wait, likely to establish chain of title for land later purchased.
|98||1829 Bill of Sale slave Frank, son of Free Frank|
This is evidently the first child purchase by Free Frank of a child out of slavery. This first purchase is of a son named Frank that has run away 3 years earlier and purchased via barter. Notice it is witnessed by Cyrenius Wait. Later in 1829 Cyrenius Wait purchases from Free Frank property on Fishing Creek containing salt peter operation.
|99||1829 deed from Free Frank McWorter, an emancipated slave, to Cyrenius Wait|
150 acres on Fishing creek, that Free Frank obtained by land grants. This document found in Univ. of Kentucky library special collections of Cyrenius Wait business papers.
|100||1830 Pulaski County KY census extract|
Shows John Collier. The pulaski county census only shows 2 colliers there in 1830, John and Charles. John had large household. See book on site of circuit rider methodist preacher Landrum, who says stayed at Collier's after preaching at William Sears, who lived near the Hails (see 1830 sears census) , my guess across cumberland river from John Collier. Also shows aged female(presumed mother of John Colyer) living in household.