Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Home Search Print Login Add Bookmark
Matches 151 to 200 of 284 » Thumbnails Only
|151||John Colyer farm|
Status: LocatedThe original John Colyer farm was located at what is currently highway 192 at Pittman creek near Somerset, Ky. Here is picture of land that was the original farm. Now known locally as the old Warren farm.
|152||John Colyer grave|
Status: LocatedPhoto of gravestone of John Colyer in Soule's Chapel cemetery. (updated photo in 2004) The stone very difficult to read in 2004 says this the best I can make it out "
In Memory of
Was born in Virginia in
Year of Our Lord 1781
Was married in 1818 and
Moved Pulaski County
KY in the year of our Lord
1806. He was a member
of this church 30 years
Died August _, 1851
Note that it says that John Colyer was born in Virginia. So it appears that William Colyar of Washington County TN migrated to banks of Nolichucky after 1781 but before 1790 for that is when he shows up there in Washington county TN on tax lists in 1790. Alternatively, William and his wife Agnes Nancy Ann Sinclair could have gone back to her parent’s home in Sinclair Bottom Virginia for birth of John. Tennessee was new settlement at the time. See last page of write up on Grenade Colyer from files of Dean Hunter that has copy of info on Virginia history references to Colyers. It shows a William Collier who was said to be a trapper and hunter. Also, note that the obituary of Charles Granade Colyer below, says that John Colyer was first married to a miss Sinclair rather than a Martha Minus. This is interesting given the Sinclair connection from John's father. It may however be erroneous based upon research done by descendant of Martha Minus and John Colyer......Mr. John Parsons of Tullahoma TN. Perhaps the writer of the obituary had confused Mr. John Colyer's mother maiden name with that of his first wife, as other earlier sources also state that John Colyer’s first wife was a lady named Minus---see letter from Dr. Welby Colyer above that gives Minus as the first wife name. Later DNA research on Colyer men, connect one John Colyer Jr., son of this John Colyer born 1781, the son being the one that settled in the Bronston KY area, to the other John Colyer 1781 descendants. This Bronston KY John Colyer death record says his mother was named POLLY. This discredits the name of first wife of John Colyer 1781 being Martha Minus. It was concluded that her name must have really been Polly Sinclair or St. Clair. See link to inventory of Soule's Chapel cemetery here:
|153||John Colyer grave|
Status: Locatedin Soule's chapel cemetery Somerset Ky. See this link for complete map and inventory of Soule's Chapel cemetery:
|154||John Colyer grave stone|
Thanks to Wesley M. Colyer for this great photo of the grave stone of John Colyer born 1781 at Soule's Chapel before the chapel burned down. It was discovered in 2023, that this grave stone and that of son Stephen Colyer(also located Soule's chapel) was hand carved by Roswell Hubbard. Mr. Hubbard was a prolific carver who relocated from the McDonough NY areas to KY in about 1850 following his son who went to Williamsburg KY area as a lawyer.
|155||John Colyer homeplace owned by Warrens in 1925|
Thanks to Dexter Alexander for this old photo of what then in 1925 was the Warren place. This photo shows when the windows were on the north wall upstairs and the chimney was in the original location.
Inscription on photo's back by John Dexter Alexander (1920 - 2005): "Dad & Mom - John Dexter - Dad holding Roy (before Bob was born). Uncle Ed Aunt Pearlie Warren son Robert - Edith Warren - Dad's Model T - Taken at Uncle Ed Warren's home about 1925." Dad is John Elmer Alexander (1887 - 1968). He is holding his son Roy M. Alexander (1926 - 2007). Mom is Louise "Lula" Pearl Phelps Alexander (1888 - 1969). Bob is Robert E. Alexander (1929 - 1991)
|156||John Colyer house High Resolution version|
Photo of old picture of what is believed to be the old John Colyer house in Ruth Ky. This a high resolution version
|157||John Colyer Jr.|
Obtained from grandson John Parsons of Tullahoma TN
|158||John Emery Curtis|
John Emery Curtis with his distant cousin , Leslie McCullough Zaricki, during a get together memorial of his father, John Arnold Curtis Jr. in 2007
|159||John Thurston Curtis|
|160||Joseph Bell Curtis iv - grave|
from findagrave.com by Parks Honeywell Memorial# 27227108 2015: located north of Schenectady NY farm site of Joseph Curtis at 1556 Duanesburg-Churches Road, Co. Rd. 127, Delanson, NY 12053 passed to MacMillan, then Wilbur. Graves across pasture, down a gully, up through woods to edge of the hillside.
|161||Joseph Curtis 1675 grave|
|162||Joseph Curtis 1675 Wethersfield grave|
|163||Joseph Curtiss 1675 grave Wethersfield CT|
|164||Joseph Curtiss grave Wethersfield CT|
|165||Julia Ackley Curtis|
Status: Locatedwife of John Thurston Curtis
|166||June Avera Girdler|
|167||June Avera wedding 1951|
Pictured L-R: Jack Curtis, Jimmy Chestnut, June Avera the bride, her father Bob Avera, Sam Colyer sitting.
|168||Kate Colyer tombstone|
Kate Colyer tombstone Butler, MO in early 2005
|169||Kentucky University degree 1889|
Accounting. 1910 census showed John Carpenter Curtis working as a bookkeeper (likely in family business)
October 2, 1865 - The Agricultural & Mechanical College of Kentucky University was established in Lexington. Transylvania University, As the first college west of the Allegheny Mountains in what would become Kentucky, had been the center of education for decades and in 1865 merged with Kentucky University of Danville to be known as Kentucky University. A&M College classes were offered at the late Henry Clay’s estate, “Ashland.” In 1878, the A&M College separated from Kentucky University and became the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Kentucky.
The city of Lexington donated a 52-acre park and fair grounds that became the nucleus of the physical campus. In 1880, a Normal Department was organized to train teachers, the same year the school began admitting female students although women were not eligible to earn a degree until 1888. In 1885, the college created the Agricultural Experiment Station to research agribusiness, food processing, nutrition, water, and soil resources; this led to the creation of the Agricultural Extension Service in 1910.
Meanwhile, Kentucky University continued on the old Transylvania campus at Third Street and Broadway; in 1908 it reverted to its historic name of Transylvania. In 1916, the A&M College of Kentucky achieved university status and changed its name to the University of Kentucky.
|170||L-R John Arnold Curtis Jr., Earl Curtis, John (Jack) V. Curtis, Glen Curtis|
Thanks to Sarah Valencia for this photo of these Curtis men at Pisgah Presbyterian Church Somerset Ky in about 1990. John Arnold and Jack's grandfather Vaughan had been active member (Earl Curtis' father-in-law) here and the occasion was some sort of re-dedicaton of the building. Grandfather Vaughan had been on building committee after church destroyed in 1900 or so by tornado.
|171||L-R Sam Colyer and Roscoe James about 1950|
Believed to be at Roscoe James house located on East Mt. Vernon st. at about Jarvis St.
|172||L-R: John Arnold Curtis, Earl Botkin Curtis, Charles Curtis|
|173||L-R: John Arnold Curtis, Lois Vaughan Curtis, Mary Wells Vaughan Curtis, Earl Botkin Curtis|
|174||Lavonia (Sis) Curtis Hyman|
2009 Curtis family reunion
Lavonia Bradshaw, 1st wife of Otha Vaughan
|176||Lavonia Curtis Hyman ("Sis"), John Arnold Curtis Sr., wife Louis Vaughan Curtis, John Arnold Curtis Jr.|
|177||Lazlo Moholy-Nagy working at Institute of Design Chicago|
photo by Frank Sokolik, fellow teacher in photography 1940's. photo once available at the moholy-nagy.org site
|178||Lebanon OH National Normal University adverstisement|
The only college of record in Lebanon OH where Nathaniel Colyer was educated. Who's who citation for Nathaniel seems to indicate he got a 2 year Associates Degree (A.B.) and at about age 30 went to Houston TX to establish his business school.
|179||Leone and Sam Colyer|
Leone and Sam Colyer: in their home on Monticello St, Somerset Ky. Home was at Hope street and was torn down for new roadway in about 2007.
|180||Leone Lewis Colyer|
Status: LocatedOnly candid photo I have found of Leone Colyer, Sam Colyer's wife. June Avera who was Leone's grandchild identified photo which she believes was taken at family Lewis home in Greenwood, Ky. abt. 1930 maybe.
|181||Lera Colyer circ 1986 seated with Bea Takeuchi photo by Elmer Ray Pearson photographer at Institute Design Chicago Bauhaus reunion|
From institute Design Illinois Institute Technology Chicago archives
|182||Lera Colyer in self-made costume as Plexiglass age|
Louisville Courier Journal 1946
|183||Lewis house in Greenwood KY|
Home of William Lewis and Mary Elizabeth Ballou Lewis, Greenwood KY as seen in about 1972. Per my conversation with Magolla Lewis in 1972, this picture is of the back of the house, even though it faces the current road. That is because after house build, railroad came through front yard, and then hiway through back yard.
|184||Lewis house in Greenwood KY|
This photo is of the front of the house taken estimated about 1945. This house is old ELL architecture. Magolla Lewis who was raised there, told me this was the front of the house. Highway 27 runs right by it.
|185||Liddie Colyer tomb stone|
Daughter of Lindsay Robert Colyer. Lindsay Robert was a primary financier of Soule's Chapel church re-building 1857.
|186||Louisa Jane Meece Colyer grave|
Status: LocatedHere is picture of Clay Hill baptist church and cemetery where Charles Granade Colyer is buried as well as picture of Charles grave and that of his wife Louisa Jane Meece Colyer
|187||Lovisa Curtis grave|
Status: LocatedMoore Cemetery located at end of Corbin Road in East McDonough NY in 2002. Daughter Lovisa Curtis also there. Also, John and Lovina Fitts (sister to Seths wife Anna) Carpenter are buried there. See documentation page for link to copy of Lovina Fitts Carpenter's will wherein she leaves money to her nephew John Thurston Curtis in Somerset KY and also to John Carpenter Curtis (her grand nephew) in Somerset KY in 1899.
|188||Lucy Alma Colyer James|
|189||Lucy Richardson: photo from Mrs Dennie Rennow|
Posted on Pulaski County history facebook page June 8 2020
Status: LocatedLudlow pond where in about 1798, first saw mill for building town of McDonough was made on creek feeding Ludlow pond. Seth Curtis farm about 1/2 mile from this pond.
|191||Lydia Colyer tombstone|
Tombstone of Lyida Memes Colyer in Soule's Chapel cemetery Somerset Ky
|192||Lydia Purvis Colyer last will and testament|
As transcribed in court records of Pulaski County Ky
Status: LocatedJohn(Jack) and Savanah Curtis and their baby children with Savannah’s father, Miranda Botkins and family
photo kindly provided by Bob Curtis Hyman found in files of Lavonia Curtis Hyman of "Ran" Botkin who had farm in Blaze Valley at Ruth KY
|196||Maranda Botkin farm location estimated from deed descriptions|
Located beginning where current day Blaze Valley Road intersects Hwy 192 and continuing on east side of hwy 192 past current day 192 Market.
|197||Martin T. Colyer|
Martin T. Colyer, his wife Linn, and their children in front of family home about 1890 to 1900.
Left to right: Martin T., Nellie, 4, Linn, 45, Ellen (Bab), 16, Lilly, 14, Vada, 12, Abe (Ably?), 9.
|198||Mary Ballou Lewis|
Status: LocatedHere is picture of Mary Ballou Lewis, wife of William, mother of Leon Lewis Colyer. She was know to smoke a clay pipe.
|199||Mary Elizabeth Ballou Lewis|
Mary Elizabeth Ballou Lewis
|200||Mary Elizabeth Ballou Lewis and her sofa|
Picture of Mary Elizabeth Ballou Lewis looking down at her sofa shipped to her in Greenwood Ky in 1892 owned by Richard Curtis.