||John Colyers in Washington County TN|
Sorting out all the Colyar, Colyer and Colliers (really same fold many times as names spelled both ways on same documents at times) in Washington County and the John Colyers in particular is difficult. Note that the John Collyer in pension records: Russell county VA was formed from Washington County VA in 1785
||Flat Lick Baptist Church pastors: Stephen Collier|
||William Colyar / Dorcas Colyar research|
Miscellaneous papers received from another Colyer (Janis Ragar) who in 1998 lived in Missouri and descended from Dorcas Colyar, daughter of William Colyar.
||1811 road order location of Stephen Collier/Colyer|
road order appears from current map of Rockcastle county to be from Buck Creek on hwy 461 to Stephen Collier/Colyer at Rockcastle line and down Rockcastle line to Dahl-Vanhook road back to Buck Creek.
End of COLLIER-D Digest V98 Issue #8
CNIDR Isearch-cgi 1.20.06 (File: 8)
Please post the following message.
Seeking information on origins and life of Stephen Collier born 1775,
probably in VA., lived about 30 years in TN.. Before 1810 moved to KY where
he died in Rockcastle Co. in 1844. He was an Elder in his church and had at
least 7 children.
End of COLLIER-D Digest V98 Issue #8
On Mon, 28 May 2001 12:45:26 EDT Grfmtf@aol.com writes:
> Greetings Wesley and or Dan;
> For years I have been researching a Stephen Collier that has been
> reported in
> Baptist Church records as a first cousin to Richard who was also a
> Preacher from about 1810 to 1850. Most of this time they were in
> the general
> area of Rockcastle Co..
- A history of Kentucky Baptists: from 1769 to 1885, including more ..., Volume 1
By John H. Spencer, Burrilla B. Spencer
Stephen Collier one of the early pastors of Mt Salem church was born in East Tennessee in 1772 He united with a church in his native country 1802 and was shortly afterward put into the ministry. He moved to Kentucky an ordained preacher not far from the year 1810 and settled in Rockcastle county He united with Flat Lick church in Pulaski county. Of this church Mt Salem and others he became pastor. He labored in the ministry in this field about thirty three years with much approbation and success. He died of a cancer on his lip which confined him to his house about a year May 12 1844. Of this good man John S Higgins who was long his co laborer in the ministry writes Stephen Collier was a large portly man of good common sense strong voice and a good gift of exhortation. With a burning zeal he proclaimed the gospel of God with great success in his own and several of the surrounding counties He was poor in the things of this world but rich in faith warning men and women everywhere he went to repent and believe the gospel
- Whose son, was Stephen ? There are major doubts about James Colyer/Collier of Madison County KY being related. There are other nearby unidentified Colyar/Colyer/Coliars that show up whose parents are unknown such as a Buford Colyer that appears near John Colyer b.1781 in Jugornot region Pulaski County in 1810 census ?
- EDITOR'S NOTE: I think it also possible this Rev. Stephen Collier/Colyer was the son of Richard Colyar born about 1750, who apparently remained in Henry County VA
- Editor's educated guess that father of Stephen Collier/Colyar/Colyer was son of Richard Colyar who remained in Henry County VA. This based on evidence that the James Collier previously attributed as his father, was unrelated to The Colyar's from Henry County VA. Evidence that the John Collier's mentioned in James will, were in Madison County KY in 1810 when the related John Colyer/Colyar who was born 1744 was in Rockcastle County KY in 1810. Also, we know from historic Baptist records that this Reverend Stephen Collier/Colyer was first cousin to Reverend Richard Colyer about same age and evidence points to Reverend Richard Colyer as being child of Charles Colyar born 1757 based on joint Unicoi County TN prior residence.
- [S05088] Collierj.ftw--Tim Jeffries, Cincinnati OH, Tim Jeffries, Cincinnatti OH.
Date of Import: Aug 6, 1998
- [S14494] Alice Colyer Gala.
Date of Import: Sep 19, 1998
- [S27813] ColyerV2.FTW.
Date of Import: Sep 30, 1998