|
Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames |
Home
Search
Print
Login
Add Bookmark
| Birth | 17 Jan 1809 | Virginia |
| Gender | Male | |
| Died | 29 Sep 1878 [2, 3, 6] | |
| Person ID | I0917 | John Colyer family of Somerset Ky |
| Last Modified | 12 Nov 2024 | |
| Father | John Colyer, b. 20 Aug 1781, Henry County, VA | |
| Relationship | birth | |
| Mother | Polly (Sinclair) St. Clair, b. Abt 1780, d. Abt 1815 | |
| Relationship | birth | |
| Married | Abt 1807 | |
| Family ID | F8017 | Group Sheet |
| Family | Rebecca Kirtley, b. 26 Jun 1829, d. 6 Jan 1901 | |||||||||||||
| Married | 7 Dec 1842 [2, 3, 6, 7, 8] | |||||||||||||
| Children |
|
|||||||||||||
| Family ID | F041 | Group Sheet | ||||||||||||
| Photos | Bluford Kirtley Colyer grave stone This is grave stone found off hiway 769 Somerset KY in Jugornot area in woods off gravel drive right before Omega Park Road. Buford was son of Bluford Colyer, eldest son of John Colyer of 1781. This photo was taken about 2003 by Wesley Colyer (son of Kenneth George Colyer) who lives in the Cincinnati area about 2003. Status: Located | |
| Colyer family cemetery Jugornot region Pulaski County KY This photo by the Pulaski County Cemetery board taken about 2016 when it was not overgrown. It is believed based on trace of John Colyer land grants to this location and evidence via Power of Attorney and estate law suits noted under John Colyer, that this is is the burial location of William Colyar, his wife Nancy Ann Agnus St. Clair Colyar, and John's first wife, who died about 1815. It is thought that the rock wall enclosure are the first graves that contain these. Most of the graves in the entire cemetery are only marked by crude stones with no engraving. |
| Documents | 1852 Bluford Colyer --Cyrenius Wait deed (There is a deed to land in the Jugornot area of Pulaski County concerning Bluford Colyer—son of John Colyer---Foreclosure sale where Cyrenius Wait is highest bidder. Appears to be land on both sides of Cumberland River at present day Buck creek and north that had been inherited from John Colyer Sr, father to Bluford. Buck creek was previously known as Beaver Creek. This area according to ancient maps on site, are coal mine areas. See write up of St. Clair Colyer and his son Dr. Jehu Colyer, wherein stated St. Clair Colyer was coal merchant. Status: Located | |
| Bluford and Rebecca Colyer mortgage to Cyrenius Wait Status: Located | ||
| 1853 Bluford and Rebecca Colyer mortgage to Cyrenius Wait Status: Located | ||
| 1858 Bluford Colyer's wife Rebecca land deed Rebecca Colyer, wife of Bluford, gets apparent homeplace land via courthouse auction of her husband Bluford (he got from father John Colyer on Cumberland River) seized and sold in 1858 as a result of judgement against husband Bluford in 1853. Status: Located | ||
| Bluford and Rebecca Colyer to John S. Edwards Deed of 1856 Bluford and Rebecca Colyer to John S. Edwards of land on Buck Creek Status: Located | ||
| 1834 ancient map Cumberland River You must download and install the special Deju browser plug in from here to read this . The Wait-Bluford Colyer deed references land near Beaver Creek. From looking at ancient map of 1834 (djvu format) , it appears that current day Buck Creek used to be called Beaver Creek. Renaming it to Buck Creek appears to have possibly cleared confusion resulting from many nearby creeks emptying into Cumberland River being designated at Beaver Creek as can be seen from the 1834 map referenced above. This indicates that the John Colyer family while living in the Jugornot area of Pulaski County had family friend named Cyrenius Waite that may be reason a child named after him.) See Cyreinus Waite page where History of Pulaski County Book shows Cyrenius Waite owned coal mines at mouth of Buck Creek on Cumberland River. Status: Located | ||
| Jugornot area of Pulaski County TOPO map You must download and install the special Deju browser plug in from here to read this . Jugornot area of Pulaski County concerning Bluford Colyer—son of John Colyer Status: Located | ||
| 1895 Rebecca Colyer to Jugornot school Rebecca Colyer (Wife of Bluford) deed to Jugornot School. Trustees of school district include her sons William Memes Colyer and Bluford Kirtley Colyer. The school lot is next to the Colyer family cemetery where she is likely buried. The cemetery is designated as the Steward-Colyer cemetery on findagrave.com Status: Located | ||
| 1846 Bluford Colyer - John Colyer deed John Colyer sold about 150 acres on the Cumberland River (thought to be near Buck Creek ) that had been patented to him 1809-1831 to his son Bluford Colyer. This is believed to be near the bottom of Jugornot hollow on current day Rush Branch Rd. See the 1822 land grant survey of 10 acre tract that shows this deed has an error in the metes/bounds of 10 acre tract in the last call. The survey shows it being S 48 west , when the deed shows it S 48 East. The survey copy was obtained February 2025. Status: Located | ||
| Somerset Ky 1929 Topo map (warning 5meg file size) Shows Ruth Ky John Colyer house, Charles Granade Colyer house, Clay Hill Baptist Church and cemetery, Beech Grove School, Soules' Chapel Church, Jugornot Hollow, Pisgah School. See alternative annotated pdf file. | ||
| Somerset Pulaski County Ky 1929 Topo Map: Warning EXTREMELY LARGE 34 meg. Shows John Colyer house, Charles Granade Colyer house, Where Charles Granade taught school at Beech Grove, Where Charles Granade buried at Clay Hill Baptist, Where John Colyer buried at Soules Chapel, Where Bluford Colyer eldest son of John Colyer gave land for Jugornot school | ||
| Map showing Jugornot Hollow Showing approximate location of old long destroyed Jugornot school, whose land was donated by Becky Kirtley Colyer, wife of Bluford Colyer, son of John Colyer of 1781. Also shows likely grave site of William Colyar etc. | ||
| 1835 Kentucky Land Grant law: deligated to county courts This act appears to be a land free-for-all act, as it does not require settlement on land, but rather a payment for previously unappropriated land to County Court. The money had to be used by County for roads. | ||
| 1840's Land Grant to Bluford Colyer Under the KY 1835 land grant act by County in Jugornot region of Pulaski County | ||
| 1840's 2nd land grant Bluford Colyer In the Jugornot region of Pulaski County | ||
| 1840's 3rd land grant to Bluford Colyer Under the KY 1835 land grant Act by County, in the Jugornot region of Pulaski County | ||
| Bluford Colyer 1810 Pulaski County Prop tax records Shows that eldest son of John Colyer(born 1781) was named BLUFORD, not BUFORD. Wonder if this is another Bluford, since indications are that Bluford son of John was only born in 1807. Bluford son of John, had a son named Bluford Kirtley Colyer.....Ms. Bray in area in 2005 also knew of "Blufie" Colyer. Also shows Charles Colyer, brother to William Colyar, on Brush Creek. Also may show William Colyar at bottom. This Bluford Colyer is only found on the 1810 property tax records. None found before or after. Note on Pointer creek. | ||
| 1874 Pulaski County Property Tax Colyers Various Colyer property East Pulaski County Pitman Creek etc . Notice that Bluford(Buford) and Rebecca Colyer are next to the Haynes property that likely is current day Haynes Cemetery in Jugornot area of Pulaski County in Jugornot Hollow. Notice that on this 1874 list, it shows Charles Colyer (same as 1873 showing as John G Colyer which encourages my guess that his full name was Charles John Granade Colyer). Also note Alexander Colyer with about 500 acres that I guess is land currently all woods that is owned next to old Colyer/Warren Farm on Pitman Creek) later records shows next to Warren and Allen farm(current at Pitman creek and hwy 192) and next to Keeny property reflected on Civil War Map of Burnside this website. | ||
| 1804-1810 Pulaski County Tax Records Shows Samuel Blevins in 1804, on Buck Creek Pulaski County KY, believed to be father of Polly Blevins, who Pulaski County Court records in 1806 show married a John Colyer. This file is evidence that the John Colyer that Polly Blevins married in 1806 (reported father Samuel Blevins) is the John Colyer born 1781. HOWEVER, ALL IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS AND ASSUMED. FURTHER INFO ON THIS SITE PROVIDED BY BLEVINS FAMILY RESEARCHERS SHOWS THAT "MARY" BLEVINS , DAUGHTER OF SAMUEL BLEVINS, DIED IN LOUISVILLE KY IN 1855 AND THAT CENSUS OF 1850 SHOWS MARRIED TO A JOHN COLYEAR. WE DON'T KNOW WHO THIS JOHN COLYEAR(COLYER) WAS, BUT EVIDENTLY NO RELATION TO JOHN COLYER BORN 1781 OF PULASKI COUNTY. The other John Colyer on tax records and later designated as "Junior", is beleived to be John Colyer Jr. born 1744, whom most of his life believed to live near Charles Colyer, baby brother, who bailed John out of court in Jonesboro TN prior to 1805 when Charles moved to Pulaski County Ky. He shows up in tax records here near Charles and later in Rockcastle County KY where Charles later moved. Without death record of Mary Colyer from Jefferson County KY in 1855 it would have been easy to Conclude that John Colyer born 1781 married Polly Blevins , since we know from pension records on John Colyer Jr. born 1744, he was long married to Grizelda Taylor in 1806. We have information that John Colyer Jr 1744 had son named John, but that he died in Rockcastle County ky in 1833 so not the Jefferson County Ky John Colyear. Further, we have information on a John Collier from Randolph Cty NC who moved to Greene County Tn but died there as did his son John...died in Greene County TN. So mystery continues as to who the Louisville John Colyear was descended from. Could he be descended from John Colyear in Franklin Cty IN who had Revolutionary pension file ? The 1810 tax records shows Bluford Colyer, so he may have been born before 1809 | ||
| Bluford Colyer inherited interest in John Colyer homeplace deed to Andrew Warren The children of John Colyer sold their interest in home place in Ruth Ky to Andrew Warren in 1865-1866. Evidently, the eldest son's inherited part had been foreclosed upon and the purchaser at auction here transfers to Andrew Warren purchaser in 1866. | ||
| Kentucky Land Grants price and history discusses particulars of various Ky land grants | ||
| 1834 map of Cumberland River in png format The Wait-Bluford Colyer deed references land near Beaver Creek. From looking at ancient map of 1834, it appears that current day Buck Creek used to be called Beaver Creek. Renaming it to Buck Creek appears to have possibly cleared confusion resulting from many nearby creeks emptying into Cumberland River being designated at Beaver Creek as can be seen from the 1834 map referenced above. This indicates that the John Colyer family while living in the Jugornot area of Pulaski County had family friend named Cyrenius Waite that may be reason a child named after him.) See Cyreinus Waite page where History of Pulaski County Book shows Cyrenius Waite owned coal mines at mouth of Buck Creek on Cumberland River. | ||
| 1851 Pulaski County KY tax records people with last name beginning with "C". Shows land held by John Colyer at death in 1851. Of the 300 acres on Pitman Creek, 200 were sold with the homeplace in 1865 by heirs to Andrew Warren. 150 acres on Cumberland River, suspected to be added to by deed in July 1851 from Purvis estate of 50 acres. This 150 + 50 suspected to be the subject of Ky court of appeals law suit on this site under Cyrenius Wait, who had coal mines in the area. Another interesting thing, is that Bluford Colyer in Buck Creek area/Jugornot does not show in tax records in 1851 even though deed records show land there. | ||
| 1825 Land Grant 50 Acre to John Colyer at Buck Creek and Cumberland River On old maps, Buck Creek was called Beaver Creek. This grant shows ownership of the mouth of Buck Creek and all the way across the Cumberland River and land on the south side of the River as well. At least part of this land descended to elder son of John Colyer named Bluford Colyer and within a year is foreclosed upon and sold at auction to Cyrenius Wait. See documents under Bluford Colyer and Cyrenius Wait. | ||
| Richard Colyer gospel minister source docs Pulaski County KY research from extracts (not found to be always accurate per 2024 searches) showing various Colyer families. This researcher has found that the Augusta County VA Colliers moved to Lincoln County KY and Garrard County KY and Madison County KY. These are not believed to be related to the Pulaski County KY Colyer(Colyar) family, who based on 2024 research are believed to have migrated from Maryland to Virginia, to TN to KY. | ||
| 1841 Pulaski County KY court minutes William Richardson/Bluford Colyer William Richardson ordained minister and Bluford Colyer nominated for Justice of the Peace. | ||
| 1855 deed Bluford/Rebecca Colyer 8yr old slave to John Owen slave girl inherited by Rebecca Kirtley Colyer from her grandfather John Jasper, is sold to John Owen. | ||
| 1846 Pulaski KY marriage record Elizabeth Colyer Shows that Bluford and wife Rebecca, adopted a girl named Elizabeth; also shows Bluford marriage and Lindsey Robert Colyer marriage to Richardson and John Colyer Jr. | ||
| 1850 Pulaski KY lawsuit brothers Cyrenius and Bluford vs. John Jr. May indicate conflict and why John Jr. moved and settled in Bronston Ky away from Jugornot area. | ||
| 1836 Pulaski county road orders: Saltworks Rd and Ironworks Rd Gives indicattions of where Jesse Richardson lived near current day Grundy Road and hwy 80, also mentions Charles Colyer at bend of Flatlick Creek. See also Ironworks Road, later called coalbank road, that goes from Haynes Knob down hwy 1643 to later Hail Bridge Rd down buck creek and cumberland river to and across to Waddle hollow (Alcalde, Strawberry area) | ||
| 1836 deed from Thomas Freeman To Bluford Colyer, believed to be in Jugornot region | ||
| 1899 deed, Rebecca Colyer wife of Bluford, transfers 1/2 her land to son Bluford K Colyer. Here transfers the southern part of her 700 acres in Jugornot hollow along old Jugornot road. BK Colyer, is later buried on it at current day Ponderosa Rd off Rush Branch Rd. | ||
| 1928 geologic survey map Burnside see upper right where it Shows Jugornot at the Cumberland River intersection, Ferry and road at Pumpkin Hollow | ||
| 1808 plat estimated John Colyer land grant location based on Pulaski Court road orders for Iron Works Rd and renamed Coal Bank Rd that named John Colyer or son Bluford Colyer to whom John Colyer grants sold in 1846. Also, location of oldest Colyer family cemetery in the area at current intersection of Ponderosa Dr and Rush Branch Rd. Metes/bounds taken from Telico land grant and 1846 deed where John sells son, Bluford, his land in jugornot (formerly puncheon) hollow. | ||
| 1814 plat estimated location of John Colyer Ky land grant grant ran up Puncheon Hollow that is now called Jugornot Hollow on Rush Branch Rd. Metes/bounds taken from 1846 deed where grant land is sold to son Bluford. This was a South of Green River grant, so as of 2025, the grant is not available online. | ||
| 1831 plat John Colyer land grant estimated location grant ran along a previous John Colyer grant border and my guess included the Colyer family cemetery. Metes/bounds taken from 1846 deed where land sold to Bluford Colyer. This is a South of Green River grant, whose survey copy was found via familysearch.org in Feb 2025. Note survey date 1822 in notes below. In this day and time, I have noted that grants were made at times long after the property was considered the owners property. For example see Michael Stoner Grants not made in his name even until after his death. See below notes where this grant was surveyed in 1822. This is a South of Green River Grant. Note that the 1846 deed including this 10 acre tract from John Colyer to son Bluford, the metes/bounds are in error in the last call when compared to the 1822 survey. | ||
| 1845 Bluford Colyer land grant 17acre KY authorized county land grant | ||
| 1844 Bluford Colyer land grant ky KY authorized county land grant 100 acre grant with border on what appears to be his Father, John Colyer, grant property. | ||
| 1844 Bluford Colyer land grant on John Colyer corner KY authorized county land grant puncheon(Jugornot) hollow, a "U" shaped 100 acre grant. | ||
| 1845 Bluford Colyer land grant 83 acre next to Washington Hamilton, evidently in Puncheon (Jugornot) hollow | ||
| 1860 U.S. Census Bluford Colyer | ||
| 1919 deed trace Bluford Colyer/John Colyer land to Edwards This is believed to be original land grants to John Colyer beginning in 1808. It goes from John Colyer to son Bluford in 1846, then to Bluford wife Rebecca, then Rebecca to son Bluford Kirtley Colyer on down as shown in this succession of deeds. It includes the cemetery at current hwy 769 Rush Branch Rd and Ponderosa Drive. | ||
| map current day Colyer land Jugornot old road shows the way the road used to go beside current day hwy 769 Rush Branch Rd. Shows likely BK Colyer house, who is buried Colyer family cemetery at Ponderosa Dr, also location of old Jugornot school and Colyer family cemetery. | ||
| 1870 Pulaski county ky census: Bluford Colyer Next to William Lewis who was namesake of Bill Lewis cemetery in Jugornot region of Pulaski County found in findagrave.com; next to Haynes and James Silvers. Silvers daughters married JP Colyer and Bill Lewis. | ||
| 1856 Pulaski County KY court: Kendrick sues for liens on Bluford Colyer It appears that land that was sold to Bluford Colyer, had prior unknown liens by Kendrick when Bluford Colyer sells to Edwards. This is part of a multi party lawsuit of mortgage loans to Kendrick and Colyer that eventually are foreclosed on when Bluford's wife Rebecca purchases the 700 acre Bluford Colyer homeplace property at court house steps. | ||
| 1852 Pulaski County Ky court: Barker and Brown vs. Kendrick and Colyer John Kendrick and Bluford Colyer sued and cases of Barkers and Brown are consolidated. | ||
| 1850 Pulaski County Ky court: William Brown vs. Bluford Colyer con't. Here , Bluford's brother, James Perry (JP) Colyer is called to testify against his brother for the plaintiff William Brown. James Perry does not show and is cited for contempt of court. | ||
| 1858 Pulaski County KY court: Rebecca Colyer purchases homeplace Here, as a result of husband, Bluford Colyer lawsuits, the home farm of 700 acres is auctioned on court house steps for various debts and wife Rebecca purchases the farm. | ||
| 1853 Pulaski County Ky court: foreclosure on Bluford Colyer Multiple judgements against Bluford for mortgage debts. Includes cases by John Barkers, William Brown, Robert Harris agaist John Kendrick, who evidently had a counter claim on same debts against Bluford Colyer, so order that Bluford property be sold to pay debts. | ||
| Coal Bank Road via Jugornot history Coal Bank Road: Cabin Hollow, Old Jugornot, hwy 1643, Hail Bridge. As Pulaski County developed, mining of minerals was an important part. I have written previously on this facebook group about one early road called the Iron Works Rd. Over the years, Iron played out, and Coal became the principal resource of the area. By 1841, county court records show multiple road orders for the maintenance of the Coal Bank Road. Names such has Massey, Haynes, Hyden, Colyer, and Hail appear in these orders. A review of 50 years of road orders, deeds etc, and a 1929 map, show that what was once called the Iron Works Rd became known as the Coal Bank Road. Encyclopedia Britanica reveals that the first coal in the state of KY was discovered abt 1829 between Buck Creek and Rockcastle River in the area of Cumberland River below Mt. Victory. Pulaski County maintained Coal Bank Rd from about 1840-1890 and maybe longer. Maps show that before automobiles, whenever possible, big hills and knobs were avoided and the roads followed the path of least resistance. The attached 1929 map shows Coal Bank Rd intersecting today's Rush Branch Rd close to current day Irvin Phelps Rd. In the 1850s a road down Pumpkin Hollow was made that crossed the river via ferry to Antioch. In 1856 it intersected Coal Bank Rd at the Mt. Olive Meeting House(church). It appears that Mt. Olive Meeting House is what became Zion Baptist Church. James Purvis had lived at what was Mt. Olive Meeting house that became Zion Baptist Church. The road went via John Colyer/Bluford Colyer property in Jugornot at current Irvin Phelps Rd and Hwy 769. | ||
| 1850 census Pulaski County KY-Bluford Colyer Also shows a William Purvis living in household, presumably the son of William Purvis and Grandson of James Purvis |
| Notes |
Name:
|
| Sources |
|